Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Motorcycle Camping

Last weekend I went camping with my brother and dad to Sir Winston Churchill Provincial Park near Lac La Biche, about 4 hours North-East of Edmonton. Packing the bike proved to be an exercise in deciding on exactly what I needed to bring given the relative size of my 4 bags to pack stuff in.

In addition to the normal camping supplies, I also knew that it was going to rain the entire weekend, so I needed to be conscious of that. This meant that all of my bags needed to be kept rain proof and I needed to pack along rain gear for the motorbike, as well as rain gear for the camp site.

Being a 4 hour ride, we made a number of stops along the way to get gas, take breaks and hunt for a few Geocaches.

Once at the site, we had access to a beach, which was pretty much private the entire time we were there...too bad for the rain. Luckily, the rain let up for a few hours here and there and we took advantage of it by walking the entire length of the beach.

I'll be back there later this year with my wife and daughter, so I plan on getting that geocache located at the tip of the park. This might be one of the last motorbike trips of the year, though. We'll see what happens.

No comments: